SANYO’s clothes have long been loved. Therefore, it will never be old.
Because it is the real thing. A thing that is reliable.
A thing that is good from its production.
When the label MADE IN JAPAN swept over the world, it was evident that it was for well-made products only.
There was no margin of error in that.
Therefore, this motto holds a good meaning that can tie all of our employees together. We cannot create something of
lower quality. We wish for this pride to be born of this.
TIMELESS WORK-Let’s create the Real Thing.
Sanyo New York was established in 1978 by Sanyo Shokai of Tokyo, becoming one of the pioneers in the global trend of Japanese brand launches in the States. Sanyo Shokai is one of the largest apparel manufacturers in Japan that has a long rich history dating back to 1943.
Sanyo Shokai Ltd is over a $1 billion dollar publicly traded co. Listed on the Nikkei Japanese Stock Exchange.
In 1986, the company built its own state-of-the-art production facility in Oneonta, NY, making it the first Japanese company to hold a presence in the United States.
Sanyo was the first to treat wool gabardine for water repellency, and even ventured out in being the first to use lightweight and breatheable parachute material to create a coat of durability and strength. We continually work to improve fabric quality and details of coat construction to create outerwear of high caliber.
Sanyo New York is an outerwear brand that focuses on quality, design, and technological advancement. We pride ourselves in being an affordable luxury brand that creates contemporary coats of top-brand quality using the best and innovative fabrics.
Our motto, Shin-Zen-Bi (Integrity, Quality, Beauty), embodies the process in the designing and production of our coats, as well as the end-product itself. The implementation of cutting-edge technology, in order to continually exceed the needs and expectation of our discerning customers, also defines our products from inception to delivery. As technology advances, Sanyo will continually improve and redesign our coats to both parallel the advancing times and to be a pioneer in producing contemporary coats and jackets.
It is the philosophy of the company that the boundaries that once existed between the rainwear and outerwear categories have all but disappeared. Appropriately, then, the company’s tag line is “Rainwear/Anywhere”.
Sanyo places great value of integrity, conducting business with our customers as the main focus, which makes the experience of owning a Sanyo coat an incomparable one.
Sanyo Shokai outerwear are carried at Nordstrom, Saks Fifth Ave., Barney’s New York, and Neiman Marcus, among other prestigious retailers throughout the United States and Canada.
1940s - 50s
- December 1942.Sanyo Shokai established by Nobuyuki Yoshihara
- May 1943.Incorporated as Sanyo Shokai Ltd
- 1946.Rainwear sales begun
- September 1949.Department stores sales started
- 1953.Launched the Duster Coat under 「SANYO」 brand
- 1959.Launched the Sassard Coat under 「SANYO」 brand
- February 1969.Head Office relocated to a new building in Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo Current head office building completed
- December 1969.Comprehensive apparel sales started Joint company SANYO SEWING AMERICA, INC., established
- July 1971.Listed on the Second Section of Tokyo Stock Exchange
- 1973.Signed an agreement with THE SCOTCH HOUSE Started selling 「THE SCOTCH HOUSE」 products
- January 1975.Shigeo Nagashima, a famous baseball coach, featured in the Company’s television commercial
- June 1977.Listed on the First Section of Tokyo Stock Exchange
- February 1981.New York subsidiary established
- 1986.Launched 「TRANS WORK」 brand
- 1991.Signed an agreement with Paul Stuart to sell 「Paul Stuart」 products
- July 1993.50th anniversary celebrations held
- 1994.Launched 「EVEX by KRIZIA」 brand
- 1996.Launched 「EPOCA」 brand
- October 1997.First store of select shop EPOCA THE SHOP opened
- February 2002.Representative offices established in Shanghai
- 2003.Launched 「TO BE CHIC」 brand
- June 2004.SANYO DNA, periodical of Sanyo Shokai’s 60 year history, issued
- July 2004.First store of select shop LOVELESS opened
- 2005.Launched 「EPOCA UOMO」 brand / Launched 「AMACA」 brand
- 2006.Launched 「ILFARO」 brand
- May 2006.Shanghai subsidiary was established
- 2007.Launched 「COTOO」 brand Launched
「MACKINTOSH PHILOSOPHY」 (Men’s Collection) brand
- 2008.Launched 「MACKINTOSH PHILOSOPHY」(Ladies’ Collection) brand
- May 2008.Relocated head office to Minato-ku, Tokyo
- August 2008.Eastern Japan Distribution Center opened in lchikawa-city, Chiba
- September 2009.First store of select shop GUILD PRIME opened
- October 2009.Operation started at town shops of Paul Stuart
- August 2010.MACKINTOSH PHILOSOPHY Shin-maru Building store opened
- February 2011.Relocated Nagoya office to Sakae, Naka-ku, Nagoya-city, Aichi
- February 2011.Obtained the trademark rights of EVEX by KRIZIA in 16 Asian countries, including Japan
- September 2012.Relocated head Office to Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo
- February 2013.Our tagline was designated.”TIMELESS WORK.”
- May 2013.70th anniversary
- 2013.Launched 「PRINGLE 1815」 brand
- 2015.Launched 「SANYO ESSENTIALS」 brand
Launched 「MACKINTOSH LONDON」 brand
Launched 「BLUE LABEL CRESTBRIDGE」「BLAK LABEL CRESTBRIDGE」 brand
- September 2015.「SANYO GINZA TOWER」opened in Chuo-ku,Tokyo